Sunday, January 16, 2011

My First Time (no, it's not what you think)

So, I know it's been a long time but I'm back. The timing of my return, one might question, seeing as how the college football season is over, but College Basketball is in full swing, the NFL playoffs are on-going and baseball will start soon. Gymnastics is going strong now as well. I'm going to make today's entry short, sweet and to the point.

This past weekend, my daughter and I had the opportunity to travel to the University of Arkansas (Fayetteville) to watch a women’s’ gymnastics meet in person. This was something I had never experienced at the collegiate level. For years (it seemed) my parents drug me all over the great state of Texas to watch my younger sister compete in gymnastics meets. Now, my daughter is doing the same, though I will say going to the meets now are much more enjoyable to watch, and it's not because the hard benches and bleachers have been replaced with Lazy Boy recliners because they haven't. I watch the competition differently, very intently. I keep a spreadsheet of all the scores, averages, increase or decrease, etc. Most people who know me are not surprised about that at all. But let’s get back to my original thought…the meet was AWESOME! First of all, I only had to pay $2.00 a ticket and the programs were FREE…yes I said free. Amazing! But after it was all over, we walked over to the football practice facility and took a peek into what I can only refer to as the closest thing to my version of heaven on earth. I had never gotten to see where the “Pig Sooies” workout and it is one incredible place. The lights in the stadium were on (I heard there were a bunch of big-time recruits on campus) so we drove by there to see it.
Saturday, we’re sitting at lunch and we decide to go and watch the Hogs play basketball. I had never gone to a game in Fayetteville and just had to experience it in person. I was not disappointed. We sat in the rafters but we didn’t care. The first half was nothing special but the Hogs pulled to within 4 to end the half. 33 to 29 was the score. During the halftime celebration we were surprised when the entire football team walked out onto the floor. Coach Petrino was there and they were all being honored for making it to the Sugar Bowl and having such an amazing season. Then, in the 2nd half, the Hogs started playing some pretty decent basketball…they ended up winning 70 to 65. I was not disappointed with my first experience going to a game at Bud Walton.
So, since it’s been such a long time since I’ve made an entry, I’ll leave it at this…Go Hogs! I’m behind you guys (and gals) in every sport…I support Petrino and Pelphrey and bleed RED!

No comments:

Post a Comment