Saturday, January 22, 2011

Undefeated No More!



Picture it…Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, Kansas, 2011. A 69 game home win streak is on the line. The Longhorns are down 12 at the half. What do you expect me to think would happen? I guarantee it wasn’t what actually happened. The Horns came out on fire in the 2nd half, scoring 51 points to beat the Jayhawks 74 to 63. This ended two streaks: the 69 home win streak and the 18 game win streak this season. The Kansas Jayhawks are undefeated no more thanks to my Longhorns.
To switch gears here a little bit, yesterday I was presented with my Fantasy Football League Championship 2010 Trophy. It might be the only trophy I’ve ever won. I finally have figured out how to play fantasy football well. This was my 3rd year to play…going from 10th out of 10 the first year, to 7th out of 10 last year, to 1st out of 14 and league champ this year! I do owe some credit to JJ for helping me with my draft a little but he did assist somewhat. I’ll write his name on masking tape with a Sharpie and stick it on the trophy. I also won $50 so I’ll take him to dinner with that money as a thank-you. This was exciting and very fun, but it’s also causing me some serious anxiety…I can’t get any better next year. The first year I was fine with losing because last place is safe. No matter what you do the next year, it’s at least as good or better than last place. Then, 7th place was fine because it showed improvement but it wasn’t anything to worry about having to live up to. But winning means I have to win or come close to it every year. Ugh! Such pressure…Vince, hurry up and find a team so I can draft you and have you sit on my bench all year again, for the 4th year in a row. Ha!
Now, tomorrow is the continuation of the NFL playoffs. Since neither of my teams are still in (or ever were in for that matter) I don’t too much care who wins but…I’ll pick the games anyway. I’m still not sure who this Bears team is and the Packers are on fire, but the game will be played in Chicago and the conditions always favor Chicago in this case so I’m picking the Bears. As for the Pittsburgh, New York Jets game, I say the Steelers have their way with Sanchez and the Jets. That makes it a Chicago/Pittsburgh Superbowl in Texas at Jerry’s house. If someone out there wants to give me 3 tickets I’ll gladly take them.
So, as I sit here watching the South Carolina/Kentucky game, waiting for the Arkansas/Florida game to start, I’m reminded of a couple of things…
Hook ‘em Horns and Pie Sooie!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment